I can’t say that this was a normal year. I didn’t host any King trips and didn’t fish for them at all myself. There were reasons for that and I’ll try to be brief although this seldom works. The 2015 season was wrought with low water conditions on all of our non glacial rivers here in South Central Alaska. While the glaciated flows were running very high most small tributaries were so low that use of the boat was limited and the boulders and gravel bars were plentiful. With careful navigating and a lot of hiking we still got into some good fishing.

I had 2015 in mind when I decided to forgo Kings this year. We had very little snow pack and I fully expected a repeat of 2015 so I laid out an ambitious work load for the cabin and spent the king season out there oblivious to what was really happening. It seems that in my absence and the presence of unusually warm weather some rivers were doing fine. What little snow pack we had provided a late May / June runoff and the king returns were strong. Bummer, but what could have been an outstanding king season for me or anyone fishing with me ended up as a work detail. The work must be done and when you are a one man operation like me, one man and a dog that is, choices must be made.

I was able to get the logs cleaned and sanded – re- chink the exterior and apply a fresh finish to the place as well as build a new addition to the dock. The grass cutting thing takes up much of my time out there because the Bush is intent on reclaiming our hard fought clearing, I see a heavy duty lawn tractor in the future for sure.

So here’s the King season…………….


The 16 foot X 4 foot extension came first and although copious amounts of adult beverages were consumed the entire project went off without a hitch. It was however supervised by Boss who sees every project through with me. Below you see the new section complete with float logs and approved by Boss also.



I’m not wild about the looks of that 30 gallon drum strapped to my console for fuel but it is a 75 mile one way trip just to reach the cabin so an oversize tank is in your best interest out there.

Then there was the cleaning and chinking followed by finish…….



Yes that’s another Mokai on the front porch. I keep it out there and move it to rivers by strapping it into the front of the ATEC Sockeye. I also took a picture of the interior as it continues to improve, I’m going to carpet the second floor this winter. The paper taped in the windows helps to avoid bird strikes.


During all that I did take time out to go down on the dock and make a few casts with my old Orvis 9′ nine weight.


With proper water conditions and some prospecting you can catch some appreciable size pike in the lake. The largest this year was caught by my stepson Robert at just under 40″. He was fishing from the Mokai and released the fish without even a picture?? He doesn’t have a fishing website so it didn’t occure to him I guess, shame that was.


During the warm weather I spent my share of time swimming right down by the dock and had to take the obligatory underwater Lilly shot.

I’ll put together some more content and include some fish that were caught when we finally started fishing, I hope you’ll come by to read and view the entries.



Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *